- 12 - 13 09 23
Madama Butterfly at Dubai Opera
Dubai Opera presents Puccini’s timeless tragedy, Madama Butterfly, brought to life by the Hungarian State Opera on September 12 and 13, 2023.
Dress Code: You are advised to wear either a traditional dress / formal attire with a black tie.
Age limit: Children aged 2 and above need a ticket for entry to the Dubai Opera Main Auditorium, while those under 2 are not allowed.
The sun rises on turn-of-the-century Nagasaki, where dashing American naval officer Pinkerton has chosen delicate Cio-Cio-san to be his bride. A naïve young geisha on the verge of womanhood, the clearly smitten and fiercely loyal “Butterfly” dismisses warnings of the lieutenant’s ulterior motives. When betrayal inevitably strikes, and Butterfly must endure both shame and sorrow, she decides to take destiny into her own hands–leading to one of the most devastating and legendary final scenes in all of opera.
Puccini saw David Belasco’s one-act play Madame Butterfly: A Japanese Tragedy, inspired by an American short story and a French novel, in London in 1900.
The world premiere of Madama Butterfly was held at Milan’s La Scala, where it was a fiasco – probably due to insufficient rehearsal. Puccini revised the opera, which was performed again in May – this time with great success. The composer continued working on it though: he prepared three more versions, the fifth and final of which is the one performed worldwide today. It is the version the Hungarian State Opera also performs, in a production by director Miklós Gábor Kerényi, which has enjoyed success with audiences since 2000.
Don’t miss Puccini’s immortal tragedy at Dubai Opera!
Conductor: János Kovács
Orchestra: Hungarian State Opera Orchestra
Cio-Cio-San: Csilla Boross
Suzuki: Erika Gál
Pinkerton: Boldizsár László
Sharpless: Csaba Szegedi
Goro: Zoltán Megyesi
Yamadori: Barna Bartos
Kate: Helga Nánási
Bonzo: András Kiss
The Imperial Commissioner: Máté Fülep
Librettists: Giuseppe Giacosa, Luigi Illica
Director: Miklós Gábor Kerényi
Set Designer: Kentaur
Costume Designer: Ilona Vágvölgyi
English Subtitles: Arthur Roger Crane
Chorus Director: Gábor Csiki
VIP – 925 dhs
Platinum – 725 dhs
Gold – 575 dhs
Silver – 425 dhs
TERMS & CONDITIONS
This ticket is sold subject to these Ticketing Terms and Conditions (the “T&C”). The T&C should be read carefully prior to purchase and the purchase of Ticket(s) constitutes acceptance of the T&C.
- Food & Beverage is strictly prohibited inside the auditorium. This applies before the show, during the show and during the intermission.
- This ticket must be produced to gain entry into an event.
- Removing any part of, altering or defacing the ticket may invalidate it.
- This ticket must not, without the prior written consent of the Venue, be resold or used for advertising, promotion or other commercial purposes, if not the ticket will be cancelled immediately.
- This ticket is only valid for the specific date, time and event shown.
- The venue does not offer refunds or exchanges as a result of a change in your personal circumstances. The Venue at its sole discretion may only refund or exchange a ticket if an event is cancelled or rescheduled and you cannot attend the rescheduled event. This includes but is not limited to, any circumstances related to Covid-19 which might prevent you from attending.
- Platinumlist can only replace lost, stolen or damaged tickets if the authenticity of the ticket can be verified, including proof of purchase, subject to a replacement fee.
- The Venue reserves the right to add, withdraw, reschedule or substitute artists and/or vary advertised programmes, prices, seating arrangements and audience capacity without prior notice.
- Admission to an event is subject to the venue’s Conditions of Entry which can be found on the venue’s website www.dubaiopera.com
- Where concessions are applicable, valid proof of identity and concession entitlement must be provided for the collection of tickets at the event.
- Entry to the event may be subject to age restrictions specified on Venue’s website www.dubaiopera.com or in publicity for the event, and no refund will be made on the grounds that the ticket holder was not aware of such age restrictions.
- The venue reserves the right without refund or compensation to refuse admission/evict any person(s) whose conduct is disorderly or inappropriate or who poses a threat to security, or to the enjoyment of the event by others.
- The ticket holder agrees to submit to any search for any prohibited items including but not limited to weapons, controlled, dangerous and illegal substances and recording devices.
- Patrons arriving late to a performance will only be admitted into the venue at a suitable break. Latecomers may be seated in alternate seat locations to avoid disruption of the performance.
- Photography, audio or video recording including camera phones are strictly prohibited inside the venue.
- The ticket holder voluntarily assumes all risk and danger incidental to the event whether occurring prior to, during or subsequent to the actual event, including any death, personal injury, loss, damage or liability.